The purposes for which the Institute is established are:
- To promote and encourage the study of genealogy, heraldry, family history and allied subjects throughout Australia and to educate members and others in genealogical research.
- To promote the provision of easier access by the public to public records and record repositories throughout Australia.
- To acquire and maintain a reference and resource centre covering all aspects of genealogy, heraldry, family history and allied subjects for the use of members and others and to collect and preserve archives devoted to the history of Australian families and related material.
- To make records and indexes of monumental inscriptions, parish registers and other genealogical sources.
- To conduct regular meetings and lectures covering the various aspects of genealogical and heraldic studies.